Col. Jon F. Berry is the Commander of the 1st Air Support Operations Group, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington. The eight squadrons and detachments of the 1 ASOG provide Air Support Operations Center and Tactical Air Control Parties to advise and augment US Army I-Corps, including seven Infantry, Airborne and Stryker combat brigades of the 2nd and 25th Infantry Divisions. Battlefield and staff weather teams of the 1 ASOG advise Corps leadership on all aspects of joint airpower employment considering the full spectrum of U.S. Air Force capabilities, enabling maneuver unit strategy, plans, and operations.
Col. Berry was commissioned in 1993 after graduating from the University of Central Florida with a degree in Political Science, and as a Distinguished Graduate of the AFROTC program. He has served in numerous operational, staff, and command assignments including E-3 operations, duty as a flying training advisor to the Royal Saudi Air Force, an assignment to U.S. European Command as Chief of Middle East Exercises, Director of Operations for Joint Region Marianas, Guam, and command of the 4th Air Support Operations Squadron. Col. Berry is a master air battle manager with more than 2,450 hours in the E-3 AWACS, and duties as an air liaison officer and fighter duty officer. He has combat deployments in Operations NORTHERN WATCH, SOUTHERN WATCH, DESERT FOX, and ENDURING FREEDOM.
1993 Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, University of Central Florida
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2001 Master of Aeronautical Science, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Joint and Combined Warfighting School (JPME-II), Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2009 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. November 1993 - April 1994, Student, Basic Air Weapons Controller School, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.
2. April 1994 - August 1994, Student, Air Weapons Controller, Air Defense Operations, March AFB, Calif.
3. August 1994 - January 1995, Air Weapons Controller, Southwest Air Defense Sector, March AFB, Calif.
4. January 1995 - March 1997, Air Surveillance Officer/Air Weapons Controller, Western Air Defense Sector, McChord AFB, Wash.
5. March 1997 - April 1998, Air Surveillance Officer, 965th Airborne Air Control Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
6. April 1998 - June 2001, Instructor/Evaluator Air Surveillance Officer then Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 966th Airborne Air Control Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
7. June 2001 - June 2002, Chief, AWACS Extended Training Service Specialists, Royal Saudi Air Force, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
8. June 2002 - July 2004, Operations Flight Commander then Chief, C2 Plans and Programs, Detachment 1, 605th Test and Evaluation Squadron, Seattle, Wash.
9. July 2004 - July 2006, Assistant Operations Officer then Operations Officer, Detachment 1, 605th Test and Evaluation Squadron, Seattle, Wash.
10. August 2006 - June 2007, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. June 2007 - August 2007, Student, Joint and Combined Warfighting School (JPME-II), Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
12. September 2007 - March 2010, Chief, Middle East Exercises Section, HQ USEUCOM, Stuttgart, Germany
13. April 2010 - June 2011 Director of Operations, 4th Air Support Operations Group, Heidelberg AIN, Germany
14. June 2011 - June 2013, Commander, 4th Air Support Operations Squadron, Wiesbaden Army Airfield, Germany (September 2011 - March 2012, Commander, 717th Expeditionary Air Support Operations Squadron, Kabul, Afghanistan)
15. July 2013 - September 2014, Deputy Commander, 1st Air Support Operations Group, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
16. September 2014 - July 2016, Region Director of Operations (J3), Joint Region Marianas, Guam
17. July 2016 - Present, Commander, 1st Air Support Operations Group, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
Rating: Master Air Battle Manager
Flight hours: more than 2,450
Aircraft flown: E-3A/B/C, NE-3A, TS-3, JE-3C, SRE-3A, Paul Revere
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three bronze oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with one bronze oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal with one bronze oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one bronze oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal with one bronze oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with one star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
NATO Medal (ISAF Non-Article V)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant Aug. 9, 1993
First Lieutenant Aug. 9, 1995
Captain Aug. 9, 1997
Major Jan. 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2008
Colonel April 1, 2015
(Current as of July 2016)