Colonel Peter J. Gryzen is the commander of the 354th Maintenance Group, 354th Fighter Wing, Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska. The 354th Maintenance Group provides aircraft and munitions maintenance support to the 354th Fighter Wing's F-16 aggressor aircraft as well as RED FLAG-Alaska, Pacific Air Forces' premier national and multinational large-force training exercise. Aircraft maintenance in Alaskan temperatures ranging from 90 degrees in the summer to -60 degrees in the winter can be demanding, but regardless of the conditions in this beautiful land of extremes, the men and women of the maintenance group prevail and "keep 'em flying."
Colonel Gryzen earned a bachelor of science degree in Bio-Chemistry from the U.S. Air Force Academy. He is an aircraft maintenance officer with operational and test and development experience on A-10/C-130/E-3/F-15/F-16/HH-60/KC-135/UH-1N aircraft. He served in a variety of positions at the squadron, group, numbered air force, direct reporting unit, and Headquarters United States Air Force levels. He deployed in support of Operations SOUTHERN WATCH, IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM. Prior to assuming his current position, he was a student at National War College.
1997 Bachelor of Science, Bio-Chemistry, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
1997 Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2003 Squadron Officer School, In Residence (Distinguished Graduate)
2007 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2009 Master of Science Degree in Military Operational Art & Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Air War College, by correspondence
2015 DOD Center of Excellence in Logistics and Technology Program in Advanced Logistics and Technology Course, Kenan-Flagler Business School, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2017 Master of Science, National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
1. July 1997 - October 1997, Student, Aircraft Maintenance and Munitions Officer Course, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. October 1997 - June 1998, Accessory Flight Commander, 46th Maintenance Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
3. June 1998 - February 1999, Propulsion Flight Commander, 46th Maintenance Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
4. March 1999 - June 2000, Sortie Generation Officer in Charge, 40th Flight Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
5. June 2000 - June 2001, Operations Flight Commander, 31st Logistics Support Squadron, Aviano Air Base, Italy
6. June 2001 - May 2002, Munitions Flight Commander, 31st Maintenance Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
7. June 2002 - June 2003, 510th Aircraft Maintenance Unit Assistant Officer in Charge, 31st Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
8. June 2003 - December 2005, Instructor and Instructor Supervisor, Aircraft and Munitions Maintenance Officer Courses, Sheppard AFB, Texas
9. January 2006 - March 2007, Executive Officer to the Commander, Headquarters Second Air Force, Keesler AFB, Miss.
10. March 2007 - June 2008, Deputy Director, Production Operations, Headquarters Second Air Force, Keesler AFB, Miss.
11. July 2008 - June 2009, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. June 2009 - June 2010, Commander, 8th Maintenance Operations Squadron, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
13. July 2010 - May 2011, Executive Officer to the Superintendent, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
14. May 2011 - June 2013, Commander, Cadet Group Four, Commandant of Cadets, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
15. July 2013 - August 2015, Deputy Commander, 18th Maintenance Group, Kadena Air Base, Japan
16. August 2015 - August 2016, Chief, F-35 Planning/Programming Branch, Combat Forces Division, Directorate of Strategic Plans, Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Requirements, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
17. August 2016 - June 2017, Student, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
18. June 2017 - Present, Commander, 354th Maintenance Group, Eielson AFB, Alaska
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air & Space Campaign Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major Dec. 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2010
Colonel April 1, 2017
(Current as of October 2017)