Colonel Matthew J. Powell is the commander of the 354th Maintenance Group, 354th Fighter Wing, Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska. The 354th Maintenance Group provides aircraft and munitions maintenance support to the 354th Fighter Wing's F-16 aggressor aircraft as well as RED FLAG-Alaska, Pacific Air Forces' premier national and multinational large-force training exercise.
Colonel Powell earned his commission in 1993 from the U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado. He has served in a variety of positions from the squadron to the Air Staff level. He also served as the 4th Commandant of the Air Force Advanced Maintenance and Munitions Operations School, has two squadron commander tours, three group commander tours and was the Deputy Commander for Maintenance of the Ogden Air Logistics Complex. He has deployed multiple times in support of Operations SOUTHERN WATCH, ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM. Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Powell was the 3rd Maintenance Group Commander, 3rd Wing, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska.
1993 Bachelor of Science degree in legal studies, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1999 Squadron Officer’s School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2007 Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
2007 Masters in Military Arts & Sciences, Army Command & General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
2008 Air War College, by correspondence
2013 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2013 Masters in National Security Strategy, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. August 1993--September 1994, Commander, Fabrication Flight, 1st Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
2. September 1994--June 1995, Chief, 1st Fighter Wing Contract Field Team, Langley AFB, Va.
3. June 1995--August 1996, Commander, Sortie Support Flight, 94th Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
4. August 1996--March 1997, Commander, Operations Maintenance Flight, 1st Operations Support Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
5. March 1997--Mar 1998, Commander, Sortie Generation Flight, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan AB, South Korea
6. March 1998--July 1999, Command Manager, F-16 Training Program, Air Force Security Assistance Training Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas
7. August 1999--February 2001, Aide-de-Camp to the Commander, U.S. Forces Japan and Fifth Air Force, Yokota AB, Japan
8. March 2001--July 2001, Commander, Sortie Generation Flight, 34th Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
9. July 2001--September 2002, Squadron Maintenance Officer, 4th Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
10. October 2002--June 2004, Maintenance Operations Officer, 388th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
11. June 2004--June 2006, Commander, 27th Component Maintenance Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
12. June 2006--June 2007, student, Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
13. July 2007--July 2008, Commander, 379th Expeditionary Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
14. July 2008--July 2010, Commandant, Air Force Advanced Maintenance and Munitions Officer School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
15. July 2010--June 2011 – Deputy Chief, Integrated Life Cycle Management Policy Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations & Mission Support, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
16. June 2011--July 2012, Executive Officer to the Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations & Mission Support, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. August 2012--June 2013, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
18. July 2013--January 2014, Commander, 451st Expeditionary Maintenance Group, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan
19. March 2014--July 2016, Deputy Commander for Maintenance, Ogden Air Logistics Complex, Hill AFB, Utah. (May 2015 - Jun 2016) Dual-hatted as Commander, 309 Aircraft Maintenance and Regeneration Group, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
20. August 2016--July 2017, Chief, Aircraft and Munitions Maintenance Division, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
21. August 2017--July 2019, Commander, 3rd Maintenance Group, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
22. July 2019--Present, Commander, 354th Maintenance Group, Eielson AFB, Alaska
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1993
First Lieutenant June 2, 1995
Captain June 2, 1997
Major Oct. 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2008
Colonel Oct. 1, 2013
(Current as of August 2019)